Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’



‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodia received a perfect score of 1.0 in the rankings of success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. TOURISM MINISTRY

‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic.

In rankings of 166 countries published on December 20 of last year, Cambodia received a perfect score of 1.0, slightly edging South Sudan and Brunei which each scored 0.99.

Following the containment of an outbreak in November, Cambodia was ranked 3rd in the world – behind the Caribbean state Saint Kitts and Nevis and the Indian Ocean archipelago of the Seychelles – and 1st in the Asia-Pacific.

A press release by the ministry declared: “Because of the strict control and management by the Royal Government in combating Covid-19, Cambodia is one of the safest countries to visit amid the pandemic.

“This ranking is another point of national pride, and this is a great opportunity for promoting ‘Cambodia – Kingdom of Wonder, Feel the Warmth’ on both local and international stages.”

The ministry requested support and cooperation from the public, media outlets, tour operators and development partners to disseminate the good news and promote the nation’s tourism industry.

Clais Chenda, president of the Cambodia Hotel Association (CHA), applauded Cambodia’s top ranking, saying it could help attract more international tourists to visit the country.

“We have a very good ranking, but progress will also depend on other countries. If they can jointly control the spread of Covid-19, tourism will rebound,” she said.

Chenda led a meeting on January 13 with more than 100 CHA members to address problems facing the sector and find ways to attract tourists to visit Cambodia.

“The hotel sector depends totally on tourists to survive. During the past year of the pandemic, some hotels have been hit hard and almost closed down while others reduced their operations according to business realities.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting