Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong authorities issue warning over land grabbing

Koh Kong authorities issue warning over land grabbing

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Over 9,000ha located in Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts has been reserved for low-income citizens and those displaced by a project undertaken by Union Development Group. Photo supplied

Koh Kong authorities issue warning over land grabbing

The Koh Kong provincial administration has warned that it will take legal action against anyone who attempts to grab land in an area that used to belong to the Botum Sakor National Park.

The 9,306ha located in Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts has been reserved for low-income citizens and those displaced by a project undertaken by Union Development Group Co Ltd as per royal decree 0716, the provincial administration said in a letter issued this month.

“Some residents have tried to enter the land to clear it, with the intention of appropriating it or selling it illegally.

“The provincial administration will take legal action against any resident who continues to clear the land illegally. Please stop such activities and leave the land immediately,” the Koh Kong provincial administration said.

Its spokesman Sok Sothy said on Monday that some people falsely claim to have been displaced from areas around Botum Sakor National Park and are demanding compensation.

“We have already offered compensation to all displaced residents in the area. No one from this area is protesting anymore.

“The ones that are demanding compensation now come from other areas. They don’t have any identity documents and they don’t listen to reason,” he said.

Saing Puy, who represents more than 180 families involved in a land dispute in Kiri Sakor district’s Koh Sdech commune, said her group lived in the area since 1999 until their houses were bulldozed to make way for a new investment project.

She said the authorities are falsely claiming that they were new to the area and were occupying the land illegally, and thus were refusing to pay compensation.

“The local government says we came from outside this area. This is not true. We have been here since 1999,” she said.

While the authorities have compensated around 1,000 families involved in land disputes in the area, 200 families have yet to see any indemnification, she said. They will protest until justice is done, she added.

In a separate case, Khim Finan, the governor of Siem Reap province’s Banteay Srei district, has vowed to stop illegal land grabbing and related activities in mangrove forests in Tbeng commune’s Skun village.

Khim Finan could not be reached for comment on Monday.

However, he said in a Facebook post that he will not allow illegal bulldozing and logging in the area.

“If you think you can break the law and get away with it, you are wrong. Residents of Banteay Srei district will not allow criminal activity in the area.

“I encourage residents to continue to report illegal activities in the district to protect the common interest,” the post said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Malaysia in turmoil

    Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has done it again. At the centre of two days of high drama and political manoeuvring, he has, wittingly or not, contributed to shaking Malaysia, and further causing its equities market to fall nearly three per cent. The drama