Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong dispute villagers in court over razed crops



Koh Kong dispute villagers in court over razed crops

Villagers stand among the charred remains of their crops and small huts in January after security guards for Chinese firm Union Development Group allegedly burned them. Licadho
Villagers stand among the charred remains of their crops and small huts in January after security guards for Chinese firm Union Development Group allegedly burned them. Licadho

Koh Kong dispute villagers in court over razed crops

The Koh Kong Provincial Court on Tuesday heard the testimony of 13 families locked in a land dispute with Chinese company Union Development Group (UDG) after their crops and property were razed.

The families, from two villages in Prek Khsach commune, Kiri Sakor district, claim that in January of this year, some 60 security guards allegedly burned their crops along with some huts that were standing on land allotted to the company. More farmland was destroyed, allegedly by UDG excavators, earlier this month.

While the villagers admit that they do not own land titles, they are seeking compensation for the destruction of their cassava, jackfruit, mango, rubber and coconut crops.

Sem Thy, a representative of the plaintiffs, said he did not have much hope in the court process as the Chinese company “has a strong influence” in the province.

“I have no hope to win the case with this company because all levels of authority do not dare to solve the case because it is very influential,” he said.

“They are clearing the land without fearing anyone.”

UDG representative Kem Leng could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and