Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong families call on firm to resolve decades-old row



Koh Kong families call on firm to resolve decades-old row

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers embroiled in a land dispute with UDG in Koh Kong work on a boat that a family had been using for shelter after the firm allegedly burned down their house in 2014. Heng Chivoan

Koh Kong families call on firm to resolve decades-old row

Three families that have held out for fair compensation from a Chinese-owned company in a decade-old land dispute in Koh Kong province urged the firm on Sunday to provide a speedy solution.

The three families – the last holdouts after hundreds of others have moved out – said Union Development Group (UDG) had built fences around their properties in Kiri Sakor district’s Koh Sdach commune, blocking their access, in an attempt to force them to give in and accept an unfair deal.

Phon Sophea, who is among the three families, said since early last year UDG had cleared the holdouts’ houses and farms and even threatened them with murder and imprisonment.

“The three families’ land is nearly three hectares combined. We’ve been living and farming on the land since 1999. The company started its investment in 2008. Since 2017, it had built fences around our houses and would not let us get in or out,” Sophea said.

Uk Savon, another villager, said the families had protested many times but to no avail. He claimed the authorities merely promised to seek a solution but provided no timeframe to achieve it.

“After many protests, the company promised to find plots of land elsewhere in exchange for ours. We don’t know where the proposed land is but we’ll only accept land adjacent or with easy access to national or major roads that enable us to make a living.

“Each family requests only half a hectare of land. As for financial compensation, we haven’t decided yet,” he said.

Lim Kim Sor, an environmental activist from NGO Mother Nature, claimed that before UDG’s investment, the area was home to more than one thousand families.

She claimed that most of them had accepted meagre compensation and left after UDG threatened forceful eviction, with only three families remaining.

The three families, she claimed, had faced various threats, and that UDG had deployed armed forces, including security guards and police, and even the courts to force them out without proper compensation.

“I’m curious about the purpose of [Prime Minister] Hun Sen’s regime in providing business licences to Chinese companies.

“I’m wondering whether it’s just an illegitimate [investment scheme] of powerful government officials and Chinese companies that are colluding to grab people’s land,” she alleged.

Kiri Sakor district governor Khim Chandy and UDG could not be reached for comments on Sunday.

UDG received a 99-year economic land concession of 36,000ha on May 9, 2008, to develop a modern satellite city in the province.

The company and the provincial authority are said to have promised to provide residential land of 50 by 100 metres and a house of six by seven metres as well as 2ha of agricultural land about 20km away for each family in exchange for their land.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and