Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong families claim homes torn down

Koh Kong families claim homes torn down

Koh Kong families claim homes torn down

Representatives of Chinese company Tianjin Union Development Group, backed by soldiers, began tearing down villagers’ houses in Koh Kong province yesterday, community representatives and a district governor said.

“It’s so bad,” villager Lai Kean, 54, said. “They’ve destroyed our homes and thrown our goods out into the field.

“They destroyed three other houses [nearby]; they set fire to a piece of wood to destroy them. I lost 1 million riel [$250] and gold. Who will take responsibility for that?”

Authorities in Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts gave orders for families to vacate their land last year to make way for a large-scale ecotourism development.

The families were given until last October to leave, but some have defied orders and remained on the land.

Botum Sakor district governor On Phearak said yesterday that company representatives had come to clear the residents’ houses because it was time for the development project to proceed.

The company, he said, had just “moved” the houses and set fire to some chicken cages to clear the area.

“We’ve informed and alerted them about this before,” he said, adding that many families had already left as ordered. “It is the time for the company to begin development.”

But Ing Kong Chet, provincial coordinator for rights group Licadho, said more than 340 families had not yet left sites in the two districts because they had not received any compensation.

This is despite the government having designated land for the purpose of relocating villagers, he said.

“The authority sent a letter to residents telling them to move by October 2013. But how can they move if they do not get any compensation to live somewhere else? The company has come to strike fear into villagers,” he said.

The company could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong