Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong villagers locked in land dispute grilled in defamation case

Koh Kong villagers locked in land dispute grilled in defamation case

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Koh Kong provincial court on Thursday continued to question four villagers over incitement and defamation charges in connection to their long-standing land dispute with businessman Heng Huy. Supplied

Koh Kong villagers locked in land dispute grilled in defamation case

The Koh Kong provincial court on Thursday continued to question four villagers over incitement and defamation charges in connection to their long-standing land dispute with businessman Heng Huy.

The four villagers are among 197 families who claimed to have been locked in a dispute with Huy, the owner of Heng Huy Agriculture Group company, over 421ha in Sre Ambel district since 2007.

In Thou, one of the four defendants who also represented the families, said on Thursday that she and nine villagers have been accused of defaming Huy and inciting others to commit a felony early this year.

She said the lawsuit came after the 197 families began to protest and petition local and national-level authorities for a solution, but the court did not take action against the other six villagers.

“The court has questioned four of us already and allowed us to return home, but they did not tell us whether they had decided to drop the case,” she said.

During the two-day questioning, around 130 villagers from Sre Ambel district who had erected tents outside the court since Wednesday gathered in the rain to show support for the four.

Kert Nov, another defendant, claimed the protesting families had been threatened by the company since 2007 and had not dared to protest until early this year when they filed petitions to relevant institutions seeking intervention.

Each family demanded 2ha and 29 million riel ($7,000) in compensation. However, the company turned down their demand and filed a lawsuit accusing them of defamation.

“The company claimed it had never grabbed our land, but it’s not true. Our community of 197 families has lost farmland and paddy fields. That’s a fact,” she said.

Hour In, the provincial coordinator for rights group Licadho who had provided lawyers for the four villagers, said the prosecutor had neither dropped nor referred the case to an investigating judge.

“After questioning, the prosecutor will decide whether to press or drop the charge. If they are charged, the case will be forwarded to an investigating judge for further action,” he said.

Provincial court deputy prosecutor Un Sovantheany did not respond to requests for comment as at press time.

On July 2, the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction issued a press release rejecting the land dispute claims of the 197 families.

It said a related land dispute involving 987 families over sugar plantation concession land – used to produce sugar for export – had already been resolved.

“For the 197 families who came to protest at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on June 1, claiming they were involved in the land dispute, in fact, they are not involved and will not be given a resolution,” said the press release.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided