Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KPP head re-submits Namhong lawsuit

KPP head re-submits Namhong lawsuit

Khmer Power Party president Sourn Serey Ratha speaks at a press conference at KPP offices in Phnom Penh earlier this month.
Khmer Power Party president Sourn Serey Ratha speaks at a press conference at KPP offices in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Hong Menea

KPP head re-submits Namhong lawsuit

Khmer Power Party chief Sourn Serey Ratha yesterday submitted a defamation lawsuit against Foreign Minister Hor Namhong to the Appeal Court after the case was tossed out by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in January.

Ratha’s original suit, filed on December 21 in response to remarks by Namhong calling him a “terrorist mastermind”, was rejected in a January 29 court letter that did not specify the grounds of the decision.

“We have not received justice,” Ratha said yesterday, reiterating past remarks that he has little to no hope the court will actually deliver justice, and vowing to take the case to the Supreme Court.

“I hold my stance firmly. My lawsuit is to show . . . that the court just serves the interests and protects the power of the ruling party,” he said.

Kar Savuth, Namhong’s de-fence lawyer, yesterday said he cared little about the appeal, accusing Ratha of engaging in a publicity stunt for the KPP.

“He just filed the complaint because he wants to be famous,” Savuth said. “So, he sued His Excellency Hor Namhong . . . [so] people may vote for him.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from