Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR cadres to lodge appeal




KR cadres to lodge appeal

KR cadres to lodge appeal

Lawyers pleased with public hearing, plan to ask for release.

FORMER Khmer Rouge leaders Ieng Sary and Ieng Thirith will face the Khmer Rouge tribunal later this month to publicly appeal their continued detention, court documents released Monday said.

The husband-and-wife duo, who were the regime's foreign affairs minister and minister for social affairs, respectively, will argue their release on February 24 and 26.

Last month, co-prosecutors requested that the appeal be determined by written submissions only, as they argued the appeal "raises no new factual or legal arguments that need to be addressed in an oral hearing".

But judges have rejected the request, claiming that as it related to the "liberty of the charged person", it deserved to be heard publicly.

Ang Oudom, Ieng Sary's Cambodian co-lawyer, said he was pleased with the decision, as he would now be able to campaign for a change in his ailing client's detention.

"I would like my client Ieng Sary to be under house arrest or under protection in hospital because of his health problems. He is very old and has been attacked by three serious illnesses," he told the Post.

Ieng Sary was hospitalised last month for kidney-related illnesses and has spent the most time in hospital among all the five ex-regime leaders in detention at the hybrid court.

Can court find evidence?

Phat Pouv Seang, Ieng Thirith's Cambodian co-lawyer, also welcomed the decision.

"In the hearing, I will insist the Pre-Trial Chamber to think about the prolongation of my client's detention. She has been arrested and detained for one year already, so can the tribunal find the evidence to accuse Ieng Thirith or not? If not, the court must release my client," he said.

Both leaders have been in detention for more than a year. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia