Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR defendants ask for Judge Cartwright to step down




KR defendants ask for Judge Cartwright to step down

KR defendants ask for Judge Cartwright to step down

Lawyers for former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Ieng Sary interjected at the beginning of today’s Case 002 proceedings, requesting that New Zealand Trial Chamber Judge Silvia Cartwright step down from her judicial position immediately, pending an investigation into alleged secret, ex-parte meetings she had been conducting over the past year with British prosecutor Andrew Cayley and Deputy Director of Administration Knut Rosandhaug.

Nuon Chea defense counsel Andrew Ianuzzi said the disqualification should be dealt with promptly.

“In Cambodian procedure, a judge would be required to step down while an investigation was pending,” Ianuzzi said. “We feel Judge Cartwright should use her discretion to step down.”

Fellow Nuon Chea defence counsel Michel Pestman told the Trial Chamber this morning, “In our request, we indicated we want the Trial Chamber to summon Cayley to provide a statement, and in keeping with proper procedure, it would be better to have Cartwright step aside until this matter is resolved.”

Ieng Sary’s counsel said their client had prepared a statement he wished to read aloud to the court concerning the matter.

“We do take it to be a very serious matter,” Ang Udom, Ieng Sary’s defence counsel said. “We have a judge on the bench and a prosecutor in the case having certain meetings. We may not enjoy the same rights and privileges as the prosecution may have - as Cayley must have - and so request Cartwright step aside pending the investigation.”

Trial Chamber President Nil Nonn denied Ieng Sary’s request to read aloud a statement and refused the request for the immediate disqualification of Judge Silvia Cartwright, saying the issue would be addressed “in due course.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia