Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR deny reports of Howes' death

KR deny reports of Howes' death

KR deny reports of Howes' death

KHMER Rouge radio denied on Sunday, September 1 a report that guerillas had executed

British demining expert Christopher Howes.

The radio controlled by hardliners of the movement said the Khmer Rouge "was

never involved in this story" and rejected reports that guerillas had killed

any foreigner.

Howes who was working with Mines Advisory Group (MAG) and his interpreter, Houn Hourth,

were abducted in Siem Reap on March 26.

They were believed to have been taken to Anlong Veng base commanded by Ta Mok.

The denial from the Khmer Rouge radio came after The Bangkok Post quoted a Khmer

Rouge officer as saying Howes had been executed.

According to the officer, among the hardliners, the alleged murder was linked to

a rebellion by dissidents in a Pol Pot camp.

The same report said that one of two Cambodians seized with Howes had died of malaria,

but Houn Hourth was the only known Cambodian captive.

In Siem Reap, officials could not confirm the information.

Prom Sanein, deputy commander of fourth military region had heard nothing new on

the 36-year-old Briton.

Hen Bun Heng, second deputy governor said he had received no information that Howes

had been killed.

A MAG official said that as far as the organisation was concerned the latest development

was still an unconfirmed report, while a British diplomat said the embassy was trying

to corroborate the report.

Since 1993 elections, Khmer Rouge have abducted at least seven westeners and are

known to have killed six of them.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio