Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR judge fires back on security

KR judge fires back on security

KR judge fires back on security

In a public statement issued yesterday, international reserve co-investigating judge Laurent Kasper-Ansermet said he has “grave concerns” about the lack of personal security for investigators in his office.

In a sharp rebuke, the UN-appointed judge said he disputed all of the “confused allegations” contained in his Cambodian counterpart You Bulneng’s lengthy retort to  Kasper-Ansermet’s own detailed note on the “egregious dysfunctions” at the Khmer Rouge tribunal.

The Swiss national highlighted You Bunleng’s public naming of an investigator in cases 003 and 004 as well as comments from the Cambodian chief of security at the court, as reported by the Post.

The judge said he must “seriously question” whether the government is complying with its obligations to “take all effective and adequate actions which may be required to ensure the security, safety and protection of persons referred to in the present agreement”.

Earlier this week, the Post reported that documents obtained indicated that Cambodian sources had told the tribunal’s security unit that the security of the international investigating team “could no longer be guaranteed”. 

The source went on to highlight that the suspects in cases 003 and 004 and their supporters are “dangerous people and this was the source of the danger”.

UN sources have told the Post they will shortly issue an announcement about the recent resignation of Kasper-Ansermet, who is the second international judge investigating government-opposed cases 003 and 004 to quit in six months.

To contact the reporter on this story: Bridget Di Certo at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not