Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR tribunal prosecutors move to include S-21 films as evidence

KR tribunal prosecutors move to include S-21 films as evidence

KR tribunal prosecutors move to include S-21 films as evidence

VIETNAMESE film footage showing the interior of Tuol Sleng prison just days after the 1979 toppling of the Khmer Rouge and the rescue of infants detained there should be held in evidence at the upcoming trial of the detention centre's former chief, Kaing Guek Eav, prosecutors at the Khmer Rouge tribunal said.

The Documentation Centre of Cambodia (DC-Cam), which has collected primary materials for use as evidence at the UN-backed court, obtained 470 minutes of archival film shot between 1973 and 1984 from the Vietnamese government in late December, a week after prosecutors had already submitted the list of exhibits they planned to use during the trial.

In a pleading released to media Friday, prosecutors Yet Chakriya and William Smith argued  the new evidence was admissible under the special court's rules, as it had not been discovered until after the deadline.

The films include segments of prison cells, restraint devices and corpses, and are "the only film footage known to have been taken of Tuol Sleng that close in time to the period when it was used as a [Khmer Rouge] prison, which makes this evidence particularly important and probative," they said.

The footage is especially salient to corroborate the charge that children were detained in the gruesome prison along with their parents, they added.

Haunting images

International Co-prosecutor William Smith told the Post Sunday the footage was not critical to the determination of the case but would be "particularly powerful" for audiences, given its live nature that "doesn't suffer from memory loss."

Youk Chhang, DC-Cam's director who travelled to Vietnam to obtain the film reels, said the footage could have a profound effect on the courtroom, as "video is the most powerful medium because it's live; it speaks for itself".

However, Ka Savuth, Duch's co-lawyer, said Sunday the footage presented no new accusations and therefore would not affect the case against his client.

Court public affairs officer Helen Jarvis said screens had previously been installed inside the trial chamber and in the galleries in case film is shown as evidence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s