Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie authorities clamp down on eight illegal gold mining operations



Kratie authorities clamp down on eight illegal gold mining operations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kratie authorities crack down on illegal mining at Kratie province’s Sambor district. Photo supplied

Kratie authorities clamp down on eight illegal gold mining operations

Eight goldmines in O’Tron village in Kratie province’s Sambor district were filled in by a provincial sub-committee taskforce on Friday and Saturday as part of a crackdown on the illegal extraction of natural resources.

Kratie provincial deputy governor Khan Chamnan, who led the task force, told The Post on Monday that his team had previously warned locals to stop all illegal mining operations, with 15 families given a week to do so.

“The deadline passed several weeks ago, and our team found eight different locations where villagers did not follow through with their agreements, so our team inspected and shut down the illegal mining operations,” Chamnan said.

In 2011, Chinese company Xing Yuan Kang Yeak Co purchased 28sq km from the government, including the area in Sambor district, with a licence to operate goldmines.

It temporarily ceased operations some three years ago after a mineshaft collapse in which four workers were killed and many others suffered serious injuries, Chamnan said.

In mid-2018, the firm began preparing to resume operations and requested intervention from authorities to stop illegal mining in the company’s economic land concession or it would launch legal proceedings against those who did so.

Sok Kiriroth, director of the provincial mine and energy department, who was involved in the crackdown, said authorities used two excavators and a bulldozer to fill in the illegal shafts.

“During the operation in Kbal Damrei commune’s O’Tron village, authorities completely filled in eight illegal mines and 12 ponds used by local illegal miners to clean [semi-precious mineral] malachite."

“Authorities will take stronger action if the company sues the villagers,” he said.

Khin Leng, a member one of the 15 local families who mined in the area, told The Post that only a small group of villagers had mined the company’s shafts to help support their families.

“The mining contributed income to my family, but we cannot violate the ban because we operated illegally as the mines belonged to the company, which had obt ained a mining licence from the government,” he said.

The company brought three containers of equipment to the area over the weekend in preparation for reopening the mines, said O’Tron village chief Sok Yoeun on Monday.

He said villagers would be able to work in the mines when the company resumed operations.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from