Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie authorities crack down on illegal mining

Kratie authorities crack down on illegal mining

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Specialists from the Kratie provincial Department of Mines and Energy cracked down on an illegal mining site in O’Tron area, Sambor district again last week. Photo supplied

Kratie authorities crack down on illegal mining

Specialists from the Kratie provincial Department of Mines and Energy cracked down on an illegal mining site in O’Tron area, Sambor district again last week.

The operation was carried out after a complaint from Chinese company Hing Yuan Hanng Yeak Co Ltd. Local authorities said the government had granted the company a licence for a gold mining business in the area.

Sambor district police chief Bun Chhoeun told The Post on Thursday that last week, a group of mine exploration experts and security guards from the company had inspected old mining pits that were drilled to explore mines to resume business.

Upon inspection, the working group found some villagers who are illegally digging mines from the pits. The villagers escaped when they were spotted and left behind some machinery.

Specialists of the Kratie provincial Department of Mines and Energy and relevant authorities dismantled the illegal mining site on Thursday, under the legal coordination of the Kratie provincial court prosecutor.

They even confiscated some materials and machinery used to carry out the illegal mining activity as evidence, added Chhoeun.

“The illegal mining site was built in a bamboo forest located about 2km from O’Tron village of Kbal Damrei commune. Specialists are now identifying the suspects to proceed with legal action,” he said.

Some months ago, provincial police joint forces launched a campaign to crack down on mining businesses in the area. They dismantled 14 illegal mining sites, filled 11 mining pits with soil and instructed villagers who operated the mining pits to stop the illegal business.

O’Tron village chief Sok Yoeun said the villagers had stopped carrying out the mining business after the crackdown.

“Some of them [the villagers] served as mining workers for the Chinese company and others took up construction jobs in Phnom Penh and other provinces,” said Yoeun.

Yoeun said local villagers suspected that the illegal mining activities were the work of a group of migrants from Kampong Thom province.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for