Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie authority bans gold mining operation



Kratie authority bans gold mining operation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A boy carries a bag of rocks from a hand-dug gold mine in Mondulkiri province in 2011. AFP

Kratie authority bans gold mining operation

The Kratie provincial department of mines and energy warned on Tuesday of legal action against O’droun villagers who illegally dug gold mines in Sambor district’s Kbal Damrey commune.

The warning came shortly after department director Sok Kirirath led a task force on a field visit to the commune and found cases of illegal gold mining in five locations.

Kirirath told The Post that each location had a machine for its gold mining operation. He said although the authority found them to be small-scale operations, it is a legal violation.

“We gave them a week. They have to remove all the equipment and tools used for illegal gold mining before October 23. We will take legal action if they resist,” he said.

Kirirath said after a mine collapse killed and injured five workers in September last year, the provincial court ordered Chinese-owned mining firm, Xing Yuan Kanng Yeak, and O’Droun villagers to stop gold mining operations in the area.

However, the mining activities resumed after the Pchum Ben holidays.

O’Droun village representative Sok Yoeung told The Post that the villagers did not restart mining operation but merely dug out old soil from the now-defunct mining shafts in their village. He said mining operation in the area had ceased for more than a year.

“Now that officials from the provincial mine and energy department have stopped us from doing further excavations, we have to find jobs in other provinces,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants