Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie court apprehends ‘toxic’ rice wine brewer



Kratie court apprehends ‘toxic’ rice wine brewer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The victims are being treated at the provincial hospital. Supplied

Kratie court apprehends ‘toxic’ rice wine brewer

The Kratie provincial court on Monday put a rice wine brewer in pre-trial detention after he had allegedly caused the death of at least five villagers in Sambo district’s Koh Khnhae commune.

Court spokesman Chea Sopheak said Koch Sok Heng, from Boeung Cha commune’s Dam Rae village, had been charged with “manslaughter” under Article 207 of the Criminal Code.

“The suspect is being detained at the provincial prison awaiting trial,” he said.

At least five people died and 40 others were hospitalised after they drank rice wine served at a funeral reception on October 18 in Koh Khnhae commune.

The victims suffered fatigue, headache, diarrhoea and dizziness and vomited after consuming the wine. Police said the rice wine was bought from Sok Heng in Boeung Cha commune.

If convicted, Sok Heng faces a prison sentence of up to three years and a fine of up to six million riel ($1,500).

Kratie provincial health department director Chhneang Sovutha said rice wine containing high levels of methanol could seriously harm consumers and cause death.

“Based on the patients’ conditions, the rice wine possibly contained an overly high methanol level that could harm consumers and cause death if they drank too much of it,” he said.

Sovutha said the sale of rice wine had been banned in the province’s Sombo district pending further investigation.

In May, toxic rice wine killed 14 people and made dozens of others sick in the province’s Kantuot commune, Chet Borey district.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said