Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie officials find brewery ‘linked’ to poisoning deaths



Kratie officials find brewery ‘linked’ to poisoning deaths

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers are treated at Kratie Provincial Hospital following a contamination incident earlier this month in the province. Photo supplied

Kratie officials find brewery ‘linked’ to poisoning deaths

Local authorities in Kratie province believe they have identified the source of the deadly rice wine, made with lethal levels of methanol that killed 14 people.

The discovery was made after investigations traced the incident to the owner of a brewery who died after drinking his product. Two others also died from consuming the same batch of wine at his funeral.

Phon Phea, Kantuot commune police chief, said: “Six rice wine breweries in Kantuot made the product and police have inspected them as rice wine is linked to the recent spate of deaths in the province.

“One of the six breweries was found using extremely high levels of the chemical in its wine. The owner of that brewery, Tam Heng, also drank his rice wine and died, while two other mourners died after consuming the product at his funeral,” Phea said.

Meanwhile, in Kratie province, Chet Borey District Governor Hang Chandy told The Post on Tuesday that experts and local authorities were checking toxicity levels in the Prek Te and Korki streams to ascertain if a ban on using water from them could be withdrawn following the contamination incident.

Chandy said currently, construction of 13 wells had been completed, with 67 more to go. The wells were sponsored by donors to residents of the Sre Norn and Alorch villages, in Kantuot commune, where rice wine with high levels of methanol and water contaminated with pesticides killed the 14 people and hospitalised another 300.

“At the moment, we do not know whether the toxicity level in the streams has declined. I believe the level has decreased because it rained many times,” he said.

Chandy said the temporary prohibition of production and supply of rice wine in Chet Borey district is still in place, while Phea told The Post that the ban had not been received well by villagers, who have made calls for it to be lifted.

“The ban has upset some rice wine vendors, and they have asked the authorities and experts to withdraw it as they said the poisonous product had already been discovered and destroyed,” Phea said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting