Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRP president alleges land-filling in Kampot

KRP president alleges land-filling in Kampot

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Dozens of lorries transporting materials to fill into the sea at Kampot province on 29 May 2019. William Guang page

KRP president alleges land-filling in Kampot

Sok Sovann Vathana Sabung, president of the Khmer Rise Party (KRP), alleged that a land-filling activity has been going on in a controversial area currently submerged by the sea in Boeung Ta Pream village in Kampot’s Troeuy Koh commune.

Dozens of lorries transporting materials to fill the area which spans 45.614ha have been seen coming and going “within an hour alone”, Vathana Sabung claimed following his “personal site inspection”.

“It must have cost more than $1 million for the huge amount of soil brought there,” he said.

Vathana Sabung, who is also a member of the consultation forum, claimed he had seen posts planted in the sea to mark the area’s boundary. He also estimated that around 20ha had been filled.

Earlier this week, Kampot provincial governor Cheav Tay was considering whether to revoke the titles for the area.

Tay said on Monday that in 2008, 12 families of shrimp and crab farmers had requested Prime Minister Hun Sen for titles covering 45.614ha, which is east of Phnom Doung island. Officials issued them the titles, but the families later sold the land to brokers.

Owning such land is prohibited under Cambodian law.

The directive on coastal development, signed by Hun Sen in 2012, states that the coast is considered the high tide line. Occupation or construction on land beyond this is prohibited as it is designated a public area.

In this regard, Vathana Sabung suggested that the local authorities had incorrectly issued titles on such land given that “such procedure is against the Cambodian law”.

He said he had called governor Tay to clarify what he witnessed during his personal visit to the area, but they only spoke briefly as the latter claimed that he was busy.

The Post was unsuccessful in its attempts on Thursday to reach Tay for clarification.

Mom Seab, the village chief, seconded Vathana Sabung’s allegation but said there were not as many trucks in the site as he had claimed.

The activity “has been ongoing for a while. It is difficult to know when it started”, he said adding that so far, he has not received any instructions from his superiors to stop the reclamation.

Vathana Sabung said he will conduct further research on the regulations pertaining to demarcation and land-filling on such land, before writing a report for the government’s perusal.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a