Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT amends reparations rules

KRT amends reparations rules

KRT amends reparations rules

THE KHMER Rouge tribunal has adopted rule changes that will allow for more expansive reparations awards to recognised civil parties.

In a statement on Friday, the court said it recognised that the previous system for reparations awards was “unlikely to yield significant tangible results for Civil Parties”.

The court’s old rules required the cost of reparation awards to be borne by the accused, though as all five Khmer Rouge figures currently held by the court have been deemed indigent, the scope for such awards was extremely limited.

“The Rules and Procedure Committee sought to address these limitations by proposing additional reparations avenues that may instead utilize external resources or third party funding in support of reparations, or otherwise provide more effective forms of redress,” the statement said.

An additional proposal to allow the court to make non-binding recommendations to the Cambodian government was deemed outside the scope of the court’s authority.

As part of July’s judgment against former Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, the court’s Trial Chamber granted a pair of reparations requests from civil parties: It printed the names of accepted civil parties in the verdict and pledged to collect and publish all statements of apology made by Duch during the proceedings.

These awards were criticised as unimaginative by civil party lawyers, some of whom have appealed against the court’s decision.

Chum Mey, a prominent civil party and one of the few survivors of Tuol Sleng, said he hoped to see the court grant a common reparations award in its second case.

“We want stupas to be built at a pagoda so that we can hold ceremonies there,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on