Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT introduces video-link




KRT introduces video-link

KRT introduces video-link

Cambodia’s war crimes tribunal has adopted amendments to its internal rules ahead of the coming trial of four senior Khmer Rouge leaders whose advanced age and fragile health will add an additional layer of difficulty to the already complex proceedings.

In pre-trial hearings, defendants in the court’s second case have appeared frail and unable to sit in court for long periods of time.

At a hearing last month for former Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan, social action minister Ieng Thirith and Brother No 2 Nuon Chea, only Khieu Samphan did not leave the proceedings early.

At a plenary session that concluded today, the court moved to address this issue, authorising judges to continue trial proceedings even without the physical presence of the defendants in the courtroom.

“One of the provisions [adopted during the plenary] allows that where due to ill health or other serious concerns, an accused cannot attend the Chamber, the Chamber may continue proceedings in the absence of the Accused with his or her consent,” the court said in a statement today.

“Where the absence causes substantial delay to proceedings and the interests of justice so require, [judges may] order the Accused’s participation by audio-visual means.”

In a filing last month, defence lawyers for former Khmer Rouge foreign minister Ieng Sary requested that the court conduct half-day hearings in Case 002 due to their client’s health problems.

The team rejected the possibility of Ieng Sary following the proceedings via audio or visual link, claiming it would deprive him of his full right to participate in his trial and communicate with his lawyers.

Also during this week’s plenary, the court adopted rules allowing judges to separate charges or hearings against the various accused, as well as rules on applications to disqualify Trial Chamber judges.

The four accused in Case 002 face a raft of charges including genocide, crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions.

Their trial is expected to begin within the next four months.

 

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara