Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT strike threats resurface

KRT strike threats resurface

KRT strike threats resurface

After two months without receiving their salaries, the national staff at the Khmer Rouge tribunal is again threatening to go on strike, court spokesman Neth Pheaktra said yesterday, adding that the pay freeze since May had affected everyone “from drivers to judges”.

Pheaktra went on to say, via email, that there had been no new promised donations to the court’s national side.

“It is a new challenge for [the] national side. All national staff continues to work for two more weeks.... if no solution, some of them may decide to take temporary leave until ... a solution [is reached],” he said.

“The court will face the new boycott from the staff and of course, it will affect to the ECCC’[s] work ... on legal affairs, IT and especially [the Interpretation and Translation Unit].”

The court’s national side has long been chronically under-funded, and an earlier strike in March severely hampered court proceedings for two weeks, but ended when a portion of workers’ back salaries were finally paid.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not