Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT urged to address admissibility of civil party claims

KRT urged to address admissibility of civil party claims

KRT urged to address admissibility of civil party claims

THE BELATED release of information on the scope of the investigation in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s second case has caused discontent among civil party applicants uncertain about the admissibility of their claims, the Cambodian Human Rights Action Committee (CHRAC) said in a statement released Monday, ahead of today’s opening of the court’s seventh plenary session.

“Late and insufficient information about the court’s scope of investigation and related admissibility policies will likely lead in the coming months to a large number of civil parties not being admitted to participate in Case 002,” CHRAC said, arguing that victim participation must be at the forefront of the concerns of the plenary.

The court announced the scope of investigation in its second case – the crime sites and situations being investigated for evidence of charges laid thus far – in November. Victims of the Khmer Rouge who suffered as a result of crimes committed at sites outside the scope of the investigation cannot be admitted as civil parties, though anyone is eligible to submit complaints and information to the court’s Victims’ Unit.

UN court spokesman Lars Olsen said the tribunal had to strike a balance “between maintaining the confidentiality of the investigation and informing potential victims of their rights to participate as civil parties”.

CHRAC lauded the court for its expansion of the responsibilities of the Victims’ Unit, though the group also registered concern about the proposed appointment of lead co-lawyers who would speak in court on behalf of all civil parties, warning the court not to limit the role of civil parties “beyond what is necessary to ensure efficiency at trial”.

Decisions on the admissibility of civil party applications will be announced in September at the latest, provided the court stays on schedule, Olsen said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Oil producers see oversupply

    Major oil producers said on Sunday that crude supply next year would outstrip demand, calling for new strategies based on production adjustments. Khalid al-Falih, Energy Minister of the world’s top supplier Saudi Arabia, said the kingdom would cut its production by 500,000 barrels per day (

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing