Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour minister touts program’s successes

Labour minister touts program’s successes

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Industry officials attend the opening of the Decent Work Programme workshop yesterday in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

Labour minister touts program’s successes

Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng yesterday announced the Decent Work Programme for Cambodia will be expanded after delivering great results though a workers union said a number of issues still need to be addressed.

During a workshop yesterday Sam Heng said the International Labour Organization backed program – which ran from 2011 to 2015 and sought, among other things, to promote workers’ rights and adequate pay – will be expanded through 2018.

Accomplishments cited by Sam Heng included increases to the minimum wage in the garment industry, a new health insurance scheme and improvements in working conditions as well as improvements in human and financial resources.

Despite Sam Heng’s rosy assessment, however, worker protests over poor conditions remain common, and increases to garment workers’ wages are often hard-fought and criticised as insufficient.

Nationwide wage protests in 2014, for example, ultimately turned violent, with government forces killing five demonstrators.

According to Ath Thorn, president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, several improvements are still needed.

“We would like to raise a number of issues, such as improving the industrial laws, the unions’ proposed review of the minimum wage, the creation of new jobs for youth and training for technical skills,” he said.

Maurizio Bussi, a representative with ILO, said officials have been consulting about further developments in working conditions and other areas.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen invites US president to attend summit in Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen personally invited US President Joe Biden to attend the ASEAN-US Summit which is set to be held in Cambodia in November, as ASEAN and the US are expected to upgrade their strategic partnership to a ‘comprehensive strategic partnership’, according to Prime

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub