Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour Ministry told to keep SL talks alive



Labour Ministry told to keep SL talks alive

Labour Ministry told to keep SL talks alive

In a letter sent to the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training last week, the Council of Ministers encourages the ministry to facilitate talks between garment factory management and the union representing thousands of workers on strike for nearly two months.

The letter, written by Council of Ministers undersecretary Khun Chinken, instructed Ministry of Labour officials not to pursue legal complaints against C.CAWDU, which represents striking workers at SL Garment Processing.

The C.CAWDU-led strike has twice been deemed illegal by Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

“Keep meeting to find a resolution between both parties,” the letter reads. “Suspend all court procedures, and strongly encourage SL management to participate in negotiations and cooperate.”

Although the government has mediated several failed talks between C.CAWDU and SL management since about 6,000 workers began walking off the job almost two months ago, Kong Athit, the union’s vice-president, is cautiously optimistic.

“It’s difficult to guess [how future negotiations will go], because the situation now is a little different from the past behaviour of the government,” Athit said yesterday. “The point is, how strong they are going to enforce the real negotiation or good-faith negotiation?”

Among other points, workers are demanding a wage raise, a free lunch program and the dismissal of shareholder Meas Sotha, who hired military police officers to stand guard inside the factory.

An SL administrator who spoke on condition of anonymity said yesterday that strikers’ “unreasonable” demands would make a successful negotiation difficult.

“I don’t see anything changing,” said the administrator, who noted that strikers still gather in front of the factory each morning. “I don’t understand what’s wrong with them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese