Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour unrest continues




Labour unrest continues

Starlight Factory employees stand in front of a garment factory yesterday in Kandal province where a protest turned violent when security forces blocked them from marching toward the capital. Photo supplied
Starlight Factory employees stand in front of a garment factory yesterday in Kandal province where a protest turned violent when security forces blocked them from marching toward the capital. Photo supplied

Labour unrest continues

An ongoing labour dispute turned violent yesterday after striking garment workers in Kandal province said they were attacked by security guards, while in a separate case involving labour-related violence, a prominent union leader was summonsed for questioning over a scuffle he has publicly accused factory owners of planning themselves.

At about 8:30am yesterday morning in Kandal province’s Khsach Kandal district, workers from the Starlight garment factory rallied with an outside union to march to Phnom Penh.

But the workers, who have been protesting over the recent dismissal of eight employees they say were trying to start a union, were met with unexpected resistance near the factory.

“A group of security guards from the factory and the 7NG [economic zone] came over, some holding knives, and violently attacked union officials and workers,” said Sieng Rithy, director of the Cambodian Labor Solidarity Union Federation.

Eight workers and unionists were slightly injured in the ensuing melee, while one worker, Sem Seth, was more seriously hurt, Rithy said.

Contacted by the Post, Seth said he was slashed in the neck by a knife-wielding security guard, but that he had returned home after a stint at a local public hospital.

While workers managed to complete their march, no arrests were made following the violence. Provincial police chief Ev Chamroeun yesterday said police were investigating but declined to offer further details.

Meanwhile, in another case where authorities and employers have been accused of orchestrating violence against workers, prominent union leader Pav Sina and another union official have been summoned to appear at Kampong Speu Provincial Court for questioning over a violent incident at the Agile Sweater factory last month.

Union leader Pav Sina speaks at a press conference in Phnom Penh last month.
Union leader Pav Sina speaks at a press conference in Phnom Penh last month. Pha Lina

The summons effectively expands the case of five Collective Union of Movement of Worker unionists who were arrested during the scuffle on January 12 but bailed out six days later. The five unionists were also named in the summons, along with CUMW official Suth Chet.

The seven CUMW members must appear at the court on February 29 lest they be arrested, provincial investigating judge Men Vannak wrote in the summons.

Pav Sina has publicly claimed that the scuffle was trumped up by local authorities acting in cahoots with employers. CUMW officials said they were the ones who were attacked after they came to the factory to assist workers who had been protesting for weeks, blaming a pro-factory union.

“On January 12, we only went to meet the factory representatives to solve the problems requested by workers, but at that time, the pro-factory union men beat 11 union officials with sticks and knives, including myself – I was beaten on my head and my back,” said Chet, who was present at the scene.

He said that the CUMW would comply with the court’s demand.William Conklin, country director for the Solidarity Centre, said it was not uncommon for employers to use violence in labour disputes, especially when factory owners and local authorities tended to be “all locally connected”.

“They would rather use violence to get things their way . . . they have impunity,” he said.But Ken Loo, spokesman for the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, said that such sinister tactics would be counterproductive for employers.

“We never condone violence by any party, because that’s not the way to resolve any labour dispute.”

According to figures released during a City Hall meeting on Friday, 443 protests took place in Phnom Penh in 2015, one more than in 2014.

Almost exactly half of those protests – 222 – were by garment workers.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,