Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lakeside residents rally at embassy

Lakeside residents rally at embassy

Lakeside residents rally at embassy

110118_2b
Police remove a Boeung Kak lake protester from the area outside the Chinese embassy in Phnom Penh yesterday. Photo by: Heng Chivoan

Controversy over the Boeung Kak lakeside development continued yesterday when villagers gathered outside the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh, calling on the ambassador to intervene with a Chinese firm involved in the project.

Around 50 villagers attempted to deliver a petition to embassy officials, only to be turned away from the gates by 40 military police officers.

Lakeside resident Tep Vanny, 27, from Daun Penh district’s Srah Chak commune , said protesters were calling on Chinese Ambassador Pan Guangxue to intervene on their behalf.

A Chinese company, Inner Mongolia Erdos Hungjun Investment Co, is involved in a joint venture with local firm Shukaku Inc to develop the lakeside.

“We are asking for intervention from the Chinese ambassador here so the developers in the Boeung Kak lake development will address our problems,” Tep Vanny said.

The villagers’ petition, representing the demands of 3,200  people living in seven villages around the lake, outlined their request that the Shukaku Erdos Hongjun Property Development Co Ltd – the joint venture company – pay compensation of US$1,500 per square metre of property lost to the project.

It also called on the firm to provide 15 hectares of land to residents displaced by the project.

The letter also said the villagers would not be opposed to the development of the lake if their terms were met.

Chinese embassy staff refused to exit the embassy compound to accept the letter, but villagers said they will return to the embassy and try again.

Yesterday’s events follow the violent eviction of around 20 villagers from their homes on Friday by Daun Penh district police and private security guards.

The homeless families are now living on the roadside amid the rubble of their demolished houses awaiting compensation from the Sino-Cambodian company.

Rights groups claim more than 4,000 families will be displaced by the controversial development.

The deal to develop the lake was announced as part of a $3- billion investment package by Inner Mongolia Erdos Hongjun Investment Co following a meeting between Prime Minister Hun Sen and the company’s chairman in September.

In its $3-billion investment, the Chinese company committed to building coal-fired power plants, real estate and metal processing plants for export and domestic use.

Chinese investment has poured into in the Kingdom following the January 2010 commencement of the China-ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, with initial investment in textile and garments now diversifying to include sectors such as hydropower, agriculture, construction and the development of special economic zones.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the