Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land dispute claims of 197 families rejected

Land dispute claims of 197 families rejected

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Representatives of the 197 families protested in front of the ministry yesterday. Heng Chivoan

Land dispute claims of 197 families rejected

The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction issued a statement on Monday rejecting the land dispute claims of 197 families in Koh Kong province’s Sre Ambel district.

A ministry press release dated Monday said a related land dispute involving 987 families over sugar plantation concession land – used to produce sugar for export – had already been resolved.

“For the 197 families who came to protest at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on June 1, claiming they were involved in the land dispute, in fact, they are not involved and will not be given a resolution,” the statement read.

In Thou, 40, a representative of the 197 families who led them to protest in front of the ministry, said the decision was unjust.

She said villagers in the province had trusted Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea Sophara, but now they were very disappointed.

Thou claimed that the 197 families had occupied and farmed the land since 1993, producing crops such as mango, jackfruit, cashew nuts, corn, watermelon and banana.

She continued that in 2007, the Heng Huy Agriculture Group placed machinery on their land to clear it, destroying their crops in the process and also threatening to kill and imprison them.

“The ministry deciding this is really unjust for us. When we were protesting in front of the ministry, officials came to tell us to give them one week and when we returned home, they decided not to resolve it."

“Next week we will go back again to sleep at the ministry because we have no land [to sleep on],” Thou said.

The villager’s petition submitted to the ministry said that the families had been involved in a dispute with Heng Huy since 2007, with the land located in Chihor Loeu commune’s Tany, Chikhor and Chhouk villages, as well as Chikhor Krom commune’s Chambak village. Both are located in Sre Ambel district.

In the petition, the villagers requested that 421ha be removed from Heng Huy and returned to villagers. The villagers also demanded compensation of $7,000 per family.

Heng Huy Agriculture Group owner Heng Huy could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation