Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land dispute Probe after ‘arson threat’ from official



Land dispute Probe after ‘arson threat’ from official

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers stand in front of the house where a two-star military general had threatened to set their houses ablaze. Photo Supplied

Land dispute Probe after ‘arson threat’ from official

Anlong Veng district authorities in Oddar Meanchey province are looking into a land dispute in Lomtong commune’s Lomtong Chas village after 12 families alleged that a two-star military general had threatened to set their houses ablaze if they refused to cede their land to him.

Commune chief Chuon Ras said on Monday that the 12 families accused Tes Sam Ath, a senior official at the Defence Ministry’s Communication Department of threatening arson after they rejected his claim that the land on which they had been living and cultivating crops for a decade belonged to the military.

“In fact, there has never been any military base in the area, but the 12 families have no land titles either because the land is located within the state forest while the other part is community forest land that the government have assigned the O’Sophy Kiri Prey Srong community to manage,” Ras said.

Sem Knoeut, the 12 families’ representative, also confirmed that the land, on which they had been residing since 2004, is located next to the state forest and the O’Sophy Kiri Prey Srong community forest.

“He threatened to burn down our houses and deploy armed forces to arrest and jail us if we don’t move out,” Ras said.

Sam Ath could not be reached for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year