Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land dispute rep to appear before court



Land dispute rep to appear before court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers involved in a land dispute attempt to block a tractor clearing their rice fields following an August court order granting their land to a rubber plantation company in Oddar Meanchey province. Photo supplied

Land dispute rep to appear before court

A representative of more than 100 families involved in a land dispute with a rubber company is seeking the help of a local rights group after being ordered to appear before the Oddar Meanchey Provincial Court on Friday.

Im Chantha, 54, represents 120 families in Anlong Veng commune and was summonsed to court for questioning in relation to a lawsuit brought by Duong Sina, the director of Data Rubber (Cambodia) Co Ltd and a one-star military general. The lawsuit alleges that Chantha violated a court order and caused “intentional damage” by destroying rubber trees.

The land dispute is over 500 hectares of a 7,700-hectare land concession given to Data Rubber after it was cut from the Kulen Prom Tep Wildlife Sanctuary in 2011. In May 2012, a Council of Ministers directive granted 3,354 hectares of the concession to more than 2,000 families, but 120 families claim they never recovered their 500-hectare share.

According to Adhoc provincial coordinator Srey Naren, the Appeal Court ruled in August that the contested land belonged to the company. The families disputed the ruling, however, claiming they had lived there since at least 2003.

According to Naren, the court ruling only took into account the land allotted to the company by the Environment Ministry in 2011 and not the subsequent Council of Ministers directive.

As she has done since the ruling, Chantha refused to acknowledge the court verdict.

“We do not accept the Appeal Court’s decision . . . Why was there no inspection to know who came first and who came later?” she asked.

According to Chantha, Sina instructed security guards to clear villagers’ rice paddies and trees after he became director of the company last year.

“Since Duong Sina showed up, he started to abuse the people. People worry and feel scared every day,” she said.

Sina denied the allegations, as well as the existence of the Council of Ministers directive. A partial copy obtained by The Post shows more than 3,000 hectares of the concession ordered handed over to villagers. Sina also accused the villagers of cutting “hundreds” of the company’s rubber trees.

Article 35 of the Law on Civil Servants forbids government employees from profiting from their position and from directly or indirectly managing a private company. Sina yesterday denied his military rank posed any conflict of interest.

Additional reporting by Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants