Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land grabs increasing

Land grabs increasing

Land grabs increasing

The government has allocated more than 1 million hectares of land to private companies in the form of economic concessions, many of which were illegal, resulting in forced evictions, lost livelihoods and lost natural resources, a rights activist has said.

“Natural resources, such as forests, mines and rivers play an important role in providing nourishment to millions of Cambodians. If they are mismanaged, it can negatively affect these people’s environment, livelihoods and rights,” said Chhith Sam Ath, director of the NGO Forum on Cambodia.

He said economic land concessions also frequently resulted in loss of farmland and loss of food security for the rural poor and ethnic minorities.

Thun Saray, president of rights group Adhoc, said that according to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 146 private companies had been granted economic concessions.

During the past five years, Adhoc documented more than 100,000 people affected by development projects, he said.

In the first nine months of 2010, Adhoc received 270 complaints related to land rows, which surpasses the 2009 year-end total of 265 complaints.

Pung Chiv Kek, president of the rights group Licadho, said that during the past five years Licadho had documented more than 250,000 Cambodians in 14 provinces who had been “affected by rural and urban land-grabbing and ongoing disputes”.
She said “this figure is a very conservative under-representation and includes only cases we investigated”.

Roath Sarin, a secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, said the government understood the challenges of land concessions and resource management.
“Keeping land untouched without any development, illegally grabbing state land and the fact that some villagers are facing a lack of land exists in some towns and provinces,” he said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY WILL BAXTER

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • US Embassy urges reconciliation

    The US has urged Cambodia to restore the independence of the media, drop charges against Kem Sokha and other political prisoners, and end the prohibition of political activity by opposition parties. However, senior government officials see the request, issued by US embassy spokesman Arend C

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • EU companies voice concern over impact of possible EBA withdrawal

    European companies operating in Cambodia voiced concern over the potential repercussions of removing the Kingdom’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential scheme, as the EU Ambassador to Cambodia, George Edgar, led an EU-organised media trip this week. Speaking in Siem Reap province as part of