Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land Ministry toughens measures to guarantee safety at building sites



Land Ministry toughens measures to guarantee safety at building sites

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian labourers work on a high-rise building construction site in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Land Ministry toughens measures to guarantee safety at building sites

A day after officials were instructed to check construction projects nationwide, the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on Friday issued another directive to the relevant authorities and construction companies in the Kingdom to enforce the Law on Construction.

The directive was issued together with some standard legal letters.

Projects without a valid permit to build, repair structures, or open construction sites are to be banned, said the ministry.

Builders that do not hold ministry-issued licences or certification letters to conduct business are also barred from building or demolishing structures.

The construction and demolition of buildings without the onsite supervision of engineers are also prohibited.

“Those without formal reason or duty to be in construction sites will not be allowed to enter. The use of all sorts of materials that do not bear certifications or legal standard letters provided by competent authorities are also banned,” the ministry said.

If violated, a letter for the immediate suspension of construction will be issued, after which the authorities will build a case to be sent to court, the ministry warned.

To guarantee the security and safety of construction sites, the ministry has authorised the police to conduct onsite inspections to ensure that safety and legal precautions are observed.

The police were also tasked to verify permits of construction companies, which are issued by the ministry.

Concerning the onslaught of issues facing the construction sector following a series of structural failures and collapses which took many lives, the ministry ordered officials on Thursday to check construction sites across the country.

Ministry secretary of state Tep Thon was assigned as the task force’s president. Lao Tip Seiha and Leang Monyrith were appointed vice-presidents.

Building and Wood Workers Trade Union Federation of Cambodia (BWTUC) president Sok Kin supported the government’s initiative and requested that the notice be followed strictly.

“The police have started suspending some substandard buildings in provinces, including a factory in Kampong Speu province and an11-storey building in Banteay Meanchey.

“These suspensions are proof that the authorities are now making changes and rectifying the loopholes in the country’s construction sector,” he said.

However, Kin expressed doubts that the measures will be implemented effectively. He said similar notices had been issued before but to no avail.

Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction spokesman Seng Lot could not be reached for comment by press time.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting