Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Landmine fatalities down



Landmine fatalities down

Authorities stack more than 1,500 homemade rifles in Preah VIhear in October last year after they were collected from villagers across the province to be destroyed. Photo supplied
Authorities stack more than 1,500 homemade rifles in Preah VIhear in October last year after they were collected from villagers across the province to be destroyed. Photo supplied

Landmine fatalities down

Officials at an annual conference on landmine and unexploded ordnance yesterday revealed a drop in fatalities of nearly 28 per cent from 2014 to 2015.

Attributing the drop to better public education and dissemination of information to local authorities, Deputy National Police Chief Sous Ang Kea announced deaths had fallen from 154 in 2014 to 111 last year.

He noted, however, that there were still “stubborn” people – often driven by economic necessity – who take the risk of going onto mine-infested land.

“Difficult living conditions have caused people to clear the land [for use] … newcomers do not know about the geography and take risks,” he said.

According to Kea, 22,795 landmines and UXOs were cleared in 2015 and 1,640 square kilometres have been identified as needing further clearance.

Prak Sokhon, vice president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim’s Assistance Authority (CMAA) estimated a $360 million budget over the next 10 years will be necessary to get the job done.

Interior Ministry undersecretary Ouk Kimlekh, meanwhile, called for better training of local law enforcement and for more public information campaigns, telling officials not to try clearing mines unless they know how and to “quickly contact an expert” otherwise.

Amid the positive news on fatalities, the conference offered the latest chapter in an ongoing referendum on the lack of control over police weapons.

Coming just days after two military police were arrested for misusing their firearms in separate incidents, National Police Commissioner Neth Savoeun said his department had appealed directly to Interior Minister Sar Kheng to call a joint meeting with the anti-terrorism committee, the Military Police, RCAF and other relevant defence forces.

Noting the Kingdom imports 2,000 tonnes of “explosive powder” per year, Savoeun said all of the bodies had to agree to the same rules on the “import, transportation, storage and use [of explosives],” he said, citing terrorism as a concern.

He then went on to echo recent calls by the military police to trace misused weapons back to the officials who signed for them.

“We need to control the weapons of the civil servants . . . we need to take action to check weapons on the street in order to collect weapons in order to prevent other crimes,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a