Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Landmine fatalities drop

Landmine fatalities drop

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Injuries and deaths from UXO declined by 48 per cent in the first four months of this year. Photo supplied

Landmine fatalities drop

Twenty-six people were killed and injured by landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO) in the first four months of this year, the Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAA) said in a report on Monday.

The number represents a decrease of 48 per cent compared to the same period last year when 50 casualties were recorded.

“Of the 26 victims, five died, 21 sustained serious and minor injuries, seven of whom had their limbs amputated and will become disabled for life. They are still being treated by the medical team,” the report said.

Over the first four months of this year, the report said seven demining operators including the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC), Cambodia Self Help Demining (CSHD), Halo Trust, MAC, Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) and APOPO had cleared 36,180,704sqm and discovered 4,893 anti-human mines, 120 anti-tank mines, and 14,195 explosive remnants of war.

Senior minister and CMAA first vice-president Ly Thuch told The Post on Monday that landmines and explosive remnants continue to affect the daily lives of Cambodians in rural and remote areas.

“Everyone must be careful when spotting them. Don’t try to touch, play, or pick them up because they can easily explode and endanger life.

“Landmines, cluster bombs, and explosive remnants of war remain a risk for all of us. Not only do they kill and disable people, they also hinder personal and national economic growth as well,” he said.

Thuch said millions of landmines and explosive remnants were reportedly buried in almost every part of Cambodia, especially around military camps and border areas.

On Sunday, 16 artillery shells were found by residents in Preah Vihear province’s Rovieng and Kulen districts and were destroyed on the spot by a CSHD demining team.

Chhuon Bora, a CSHD landmine clearance technical official, told The Post on Monday: “The artillery shells were rockets of between 60mm and 85mm and were made in America, China, Russia and Vietnam.”

Meanwhile, a bomb dropped from an MK82 aircraft was removed from the ground by an NPA team in community forest land in Phak Nam village, Koh Peak commune, Veun Sai district, Ratanakkiri province, on Saturday after villagers spotted it.

To meet the “mine-free Cambodia by 2025” goal, the government has pledged to cover 10 per cent of spending for all bilateral or multilateral demining projects.

The government has also laid out plans to complete basic data research in 73 districts in eastern provinces this year.

From 2020 to 2025, Cambodia still needs an additional $377 million to clear 806sq km containing mines, cluster bombs, and explosive remnants of war, the government said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Crumbling prices, rent ruffle condo segment

    The prolonged decline in international arrivals to Cambodia intensified by renewed Covid-19 fears has driven down condominium sales prices and rental rates in Phnom Penh, a research report said. CBRE Cambodia, the local affiliate of US commercial real estate services and investment firm CBRE Group

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • More than 10,000 workers suspended

    More than 10,000 workers at 18 factories in Svay Rieng province have been suspended because of Covid-19, said provincial deputy governor Ros Pharith. Home to 11 special economic zones, Pharith said Svay Rieng has not been spared as the pandemic takes a toll on the global economy. “There

  • Nod given for school exams

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport announced that State-run higher educational institutions can hold examinations to end the academic year, while private schools can organise grade 9 and grade 12 examinations at their premises for two days. However, private institutions have to take measures to prevent

  • Kingdom’s exports to US mushroom 25.94% in first five months to $2.4B

    Though Cambodia’s exports to other countries have been stalled amid the evolving Covid-19 environment, the Kingdom’s shipments to the US were worth 25.94 per cent more in the first five months of this year than they were in the year-ago period. Bilateral trade between

  • Oz lauds Kingdom’s passage of money laundering laws

    In a press release published by the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday, the country applauded Cambodia’s stance on transnational crimes as well as its promulgation of an anti-money laundering law and a law on combating proliferation financing. The praise came after King

  • Lotus face masks designed to cover globe

    A French designer in Cambodia has produced ecological face masks from lotus fibre to supply local and international markets with an eye on preserving ancestral techniques and supporting Cambodian women in rural communities. During a trip to Asia, Awen Delaval, an eco-friendly fashion designer, was

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the