Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Laos, Cambodia set to open consulates on Stung Treng border

Laos, Cambodia set to open consulates on Stung Treng border

A Lao national is pictured with drugs with which he was apprehended in Stung Treng during a cross-border operation in March. National {olice
A Lao national is pictured with drugs with which he was apprehended in Stung Treng during a cross-border operation in March. National {olice

Laos, Cambodia set to open consulates on Stung Treng border

Laos and Cambodia are to open consulates on either side of the Stung Treng border in response to ongoing cross-border issues.

Laos’ Stung Treng consulate is to be inaugurated on June 30, and Cambodia’s – in Laos’ Cham Pasak province – on July 1, according to a Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs statement released on Saturday.

The announcement followed a trip to Laos by Foreign Minister Prak Sokhorn on June 16 and 17, during which the two countries agreed to continue to cooperate on public order and drug trafficking issues.

Stung Treng has long been a point of entry for methamphetamine smuggled from Laos into the Kingdom; almost 55kg of drugs seized in an operation last year crossed into Cambodia at the Stung Treng border.

Stung Treng provincial government spokesman Men Kung said the consulates would enable both countries to respond to the growing crime threat and deal with border disputes, such as the contentious construction of a Laotian army base close to the border.

“It will be easy to solve issues happening at the border such as cross-border land conflicts, illegal migration ... We’re giving a lot more attention to drug-related issues,” he said. “We’re dealing with it regularly and we’ll be able to solve the issues in a timely fashion because they [the consulates] will be there.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will