Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Laos dam, poison blamed in Stung Treng fish deaths



Laos dam, poison blamed in Stung Treng fish deaths

A fisherman pulls in a net near the location of the Don Sahong hydropower dam construction site in southern Laos. International Rivers
A fisherman pulls in a net near the location of the Don Sahong hydropower dam construction site in southern Laos. International Rivers

Laos dam, poison blamed in Stung Treng fish deaths

Hundreds of kilograms of dead fish have washed up on the shores of the Mekong in Stung Treng’s Thala Barivat district in the past month, and while environmental activists blame construction of the controversial Don Sahong dam upstream, officials yesterday said the fish are being “poisoned” by Lao fishermen.

“We saw that a lot of dead fish flowed from the upper Mekong in Lao,” said O’Svay commune chief Roth Sun, who believes the fish were poisoned near the border.

Villagers have collected some 400 to 500 kilograms of fish, and several fell ill from eating them, Sun said, adding that commune authorities found cooked rice with a “blue substance” inside the fish bodies, prompting them to warn villagers against eating the fish.

Sim Kosal, 23, from nearby Preah Romkil commune suspects the Don Sahong construction is to blame, a viewed shared by activists.

“Fish have died since the construction started . . . [and] the water quality is worse than last year,” he said.

Pen Chhundy, provincial Fishery Administration director, yesterday was unaware of the deaths but said that an inspection following fish deaths in the district last month found that illegal poison-based fishing practices by Laotians were to blame.

NGO Forum executive director Tek Vannara said the dam construction’s impact on water quality is likely the cause of not just the fish deaths but also the death of two Irrawaddy dolphins this year and possibly the deaths of some 355 cattle in Stung Treng since April. “We must investigate,” he said.

Additional reporting by Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could