Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - At-large official given four years in prison

At-large official given four years in prison

At-large official given four years in prison

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday convicted and sentenced in absentia a senior official at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport for directing money from employees’ salaries to his own pocket.

Seng Setha, 52, general director of the ministry’s administration and human resources department, was sentenced to four years’ prison and fined $1,250, Judge Sem Sakola said.

Setha has not been seen since being summonsed for questioning on December 19, following complaints from his staff.

A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Senior ministry official Kheang Yarath said he had given $1,250 to Setha, who had demanded it for “preparing documents for the government”.

Setha’s lawyer, who failed to appear at court yesterday, has previously denied the charge against his client.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not