Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lawyer fired, trial opens

Lawyer fired, trial opens

Lawyer fired, trial opens

110915_4
James D’Agostino (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.

The trial of an American charged with purchasing child prostitutes opened in a whirl of controversy yesterday when the mother of one of the alleged victims claimed her son had been forced to make false accusations against the suspect and demanded that the court appoint her a new lawyer.

James D’Agostino, 57, was arrested on February 16 in Phnom Penh’s Toul Kork district and charged with sexually abusing three boys between seven and 14 years old.

However, before the trial began, Chea Sony, mother of an 11-year-old alleged victim, requested a new lawyer and dismissed the appointed lawyer from Action Pour Les Enfants.

“They [APLE} have forced [my son] to make accusations against the suspect. Therefore, I do not need them to defend my son anymore,” she told the Post yesterday.  She also said that the children were forced by police to file complaints against the American.  “I have not filed any complaint against the suspect because I know that he has not committed any crime against my son.”

These claims were disputed by dismissed APLE lawyer Peng Maneth, who said parents of the victims had failed to cooperate in the case because they had received money from the suspect.

“Since I was appointed by the court to defend them, I have worked very hard, but the parents will not cooperate,” Peng Maneth said. “The parents used to get money from the suspect, so they do not want to sue him although he committed crimes against their sons,” she said.

The next hearing is scheduled for October 10.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but