Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lese majeste convict not free



Lese majeste convict not free

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ban Samphy of Siem Reap is the second person charged under the Kingdom’s new law against insulting the King. Photo supplied

Lese majeste convict not free

Following a court hearing on January 28, the Appeal Court on Tuesday extended the prison sentence – from seven months to 10 – of a man who was convicted for violating of the Kingdom’s lese majeste law.

Ban Samphy, 70, a barber and deputy leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) in Siem Reap province’s Chi Kraeng district, was supposed to be freed on December 20, as his defence lawyer Sam Titseyha had said previously.

However, Samphy’s release was delayed after a deputy prosecutor at Siem Reap Provincial Court filed a complaint to the upper court, seeking heavier punishment for him.

Samphy was arrested and put in pre-trial detention on May 20 after he was ruled to have shared an offensive photograph of the King on social media a week earlier.

The picture depicted Prime Minister Hun Sen, first lady Bun Rany and the King in a car, accompanied by a message deemed to be an insult to the king.

He was sentenced in October to one-year imprisonment, five months of which were suspended.

In the absence of Samphi, Judge Nguon Ratana on Tuesday read the verdict: “The Appeal Court also decided to sentence him with a one-year prison term, two months of which are suspended.”

The latest verdict meant that Samphi would be imprisoned for 10 months since the day of his arrest in May last year.

Titseyha said he will meet with Samphy and his family to discuss whether they would contest the Appeal Court’s decision by forwarding the case the Supreme Court.

“The verdict by Appeal Court seems a bit serious. [Samphy] has confirmed already that he had no intention to insult the King."

“If we examine closely, there is no law related to sharing information on Facebook. And if the court thinks that his action does not seriously affect society, the court should punish him at a level which gives him the opportunity to return to society."

“At the moment, [Samphy] is not well. His limbs are numb and he is old, therefore, he cannot stay behind bars for too long,” Titseyha said.

Samphy’s was the second high profile lese majeste case last year, following the government’s controversial March 2018 amendment to the lese majeste law which criminalised any “word, gesture, writing, picture or other media which affects the dignity of the individual [the King]”.

In May, a 50-year-old principal at Stung Sen district’s Prey Tahou Primary School became the first person to fall foul of the new law. Kheang Navy was arrested for comments he made on Facebook accusing the King of bearing responsibility for the dissolution of the CNRP.

In December, a local police officer said Navy had been “released and begun teaching again”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese