Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Licadho data ‘not real’: gov’t



Licadho data ‘not real’: gov’t

People involved in a land row work in Koh Kong last month on a boat that a family has been using for shelter after Union Development Group allegedly burned down their house
People involved in a land row work in Koh Kong last month on a boat that a family has been using for shelter after Union Development Group allegedly burned down their house. Heng Chivoan

Licadho data ‘not real’: gov’t

The government yesterday accused Licadho of producing wildly misleading figures on land grabs, following the rights group’s announcement earlier this week that land conflicts in Cambodia have affected more than half a million people since 2000.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, Sar Sovan, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, said the ministry does not accept the NGO’s findings, adding that the government has its own, more accurate figures.

“The ministry does not recognise this figure, because it is not real. The figure we have in our hands now is not research. It’s real, and I have enough numbers to prove it,” Sovan said.

But Licadho director Naly Pilorge slammed the ministry’s dismissal.

“[Yesterday’s] reaction is a typical denial by a government that consistently ignores evidence-based criticism whilst failing to address the hard facts,” she said.

“The government, and in particular the Land Ministry, would do better to spend its time coming up with lasting solutions to the problem of land grabbing than holding press conferences to deny the undeniable.”

In May 2012, Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a moratorium on new economic land concessions, and initiated a land-titling scheme shortly thereafter.

According to figures collected by the ministry since then, “of every 1,000 land titles [issued, there are just] three or four conflicts”, Sovan said.

Sovan added that in the 357 communes across the country in which land-titling has taken place, land conflicts are not a major problem.

“On average, one village has disputes [affecting] less than one person,” he said. “The accusation of failure is not real.”

According to Licadho, however, the “shameful milestone” of half a million people affected only scratches the surface of the problem.

“The figure of half a million Cambodians affected is based only on land conflicts that have been investigated by Licadho’s 13 provincial offices over the past 13 years,” Pilorge said.

“This is only half the country, and as such the figure does not begin to represent the true number of individuals affected throughout the country.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting