Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Licadho workers released; two others arrested



Licadho workers released; two others arrested

Licadho workers released; two others arrested

The two Licadho employees detained for their alleged part in the Sihanoukville waste

dump scandal were finally released on bail 21 January, in what rights workers said

was an important and surprising victory for Cambodian justice.

But even as the appeal for bail was being approved, two more men suspected of causing

criminal damage during the demonstrations were arrested in Sihan-oukville.

Kong Vuthy, 34, and Ung Long, 29, were arrested on Jan 19 and 20 respectively, and

accused of robbery and damage to property. Neither man has a lawyer.

Rights workers also report that Keo Kim San, 45, and 15-year-old Sam Sophal were

released Jan 21 from the local prison. Minors, by law, cannot be held for longer

than one month. Eight men are still in jail in connection with the demonstrations

against the toxic dumping.

Phnom Penh's Court of Appeal overturned the Sihanoukville Court's earlier refusal

of pre-trial release for the pair January 20, saying that the arrest of the employees

was illegal.

Lawyer Chea Dara, who is representing Licadho's Kim Sen, said in court that there

had been no arrest warrants shown and no reason given for the arrest. In addition,

Licadho had complained earlier that evidence was withheld from the lawyers, and that

other procedural errors had rendered the whole process illegal.

"I'm so happy", said Dr Kek Galabru, President of Licadho, as the judge

delivered his verdict. "Now we still have to work hard for the trial, but it's

better now that they are outside the prison"

Sen and co-defendant Meas Minear, who were not present in court, were released Thursday

morning [Jan 21]. The men were originally denied bail by the court because officials

said they would try to persuade witnesses not to testify, according to the prosecutor

Mam Mith.

The men are accused of damage to public property and robbery during the waste dump

demonstrations. and legal action against them is still pending. Licadho and other

rights groups maintain that the men were simply informing protesters of their rights.

Lean Chinda, lawyer for Meas Minear, said that she had not expected the verdict.

"I did not think that the court would follow the law," she said outside

the courtroom. "This means that they actually focused on the lawyers' speeches,

whereas in Sihanoukville, they didn't listen".

Dr Galabru was sure that the committee set up by Ouk Vithun, Minister of Justice,

which investigated the case independently and recommended that the arrests were illegal,

played an important role in their release. "It is a very good sign that the

Minister of Justice would like to reform the system," she said. The trial of

the two is expected later this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a