Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Licences to log SLCs are ordered revoked



Licences to log SLCs are ordered revoked

Vietnamese nationals who were arrested in January for alleged illegal logging linked to Duong Sruoch Group. The company was cited in a recent decision to discontinue all logging licences in social land concessions. Photo supplied
Vietnamese nationals who were arrested in January for alleged illegal logging linked to Duong Sruoch Group. The company was cited in a recent decision to discontinue all logging licences in social land concessions. Photo supplied

Licences to log SLCs are ordered revoked

The Council of Ministers has ordered licences granted to private companies to log and collect timber from social land concessions (SLC) and state-owned land revoked, following years of allegations that some companies were exploiting the permits to carry out illegal logging.

The council on Monday released a directive ordering that Duong Sruoch Group – which was recently accused of logging illegally – as well as other companies no longer be permitted to collect timber from SLCs following a request from the Ministry of Environment on February 20.

Keo Omalis, deputy director of the Forestry Administration, said he was not aware of the new directive. According to him, the Ministry of Agriculture had cancelled the licence for Duong Sruoch Group last month, but he said this was because there was no more wood to collect. However, in late January, Preah Vihear’s Choam Ksan district Governor Chea Kim Seng said Duong Sruoch Group had been subcontracted to clear a social land concession area and to build a road, but instead had only stripped the area of timber.

“The cancellation is based on the request by the provincial governor of Preah Vihear,” Omalis said.

The Agriculture Ministry had also granted a licence to the same company in December covering 1,500 hectares in Stung Treng, but Hou Sam Ol, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said that part of the area had been logged before the licence was granted.

Omalis said the Agriculture Ministry had been planning in the next few weeks to inspect SLCs to see if there was still wood for licensed companies to collect. If there wasn’t, their licences would have been cancelled. With the new directive, he expects the ministry to cancel all of them regardless.

He also conceded that the proposed action was connected to allegations of wrongdoing by some companies.

“I’m sure that there’s illegal activity linked to that, so we need to take bold action,” he said.

Environment Minister Say Samal declined to comment, and referred questions to ministry spokesman Sao Sopheap, who could not be reached.

Conservationist Marcus Hardtke said the “timber collection licences” were a major loophole for companies.

“They are driving the illegal timber trade in Cambodia since years,” he said in an email. “Illegally sourced timber is laundered via [economic land concession and social land concession] agreements on a massive scale.”

Pen Bonnar, senior land and natural resources investigator for rights group Adhoc, said the government should not only cancel the companies’ licences, but also investigate them.

“The logging beyond its boundary is a criminal crime, so those companies need to take responsibility,” he said Hardtke, however, was sceptical that action beyond cancellation of licences would be taken.

“[But] if no more of these ‘illegal logging licences’ would be issued, it would be a step in the right direction,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration