Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lightning claims one more victim

Lightning claims one more victim

Lightning claims one more victim

A lightning strike led to the death of a 29-year-old man in Banteay Meanchey province on Tuesday, a commune police chief has said.

As it started to rain in the afternoon, Lay Lot, a farmer from Phoum Thmey commune in Thma Puok district, sought shelter and some rest under a tree near the rice field he was ploughing.

Sok Vet, Phoum Thmey commune police chief, said Lot had been hired to plough the field, located about 700 metres from his village.

When Lot and other villagers were under the tree, lightning struck it, killing Lot, who was leaning against the trunk. Whether the farmer was electrocuted by the strike or died from shock, the police chief couldn’t say. The others weren’t injured.

Keo Vy, chief of the cabinet at the National Committee for Disaster Management, said yesterday that the death pushed the number of lightning fatalities this year to 30.

For the same period in 2013, 35 people died.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not