Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lightning fatalities down so far this year

Lightning fatalities down so far this year

Lightning fatalities down so far this year

Lightning has claimed at least 70 lives and injured 50 others so far this year, while floods have resulted in the deaths of 49 others, according to the National Committee for Disaster Management.

From the start of the year to mid-September, lightning killed 70 people in 19 provinces across the country, said Keo Vy, cabinet chief of the NCDM.

“The provinces that bore the brunt of this are Battambang, with 14 deaths, nine in Banteay Meanchey, and six in Kampong Cham, and other provinces with three or four deaths,” he said.

The number of people who died from flooding as of Sunday was 49, while 12 provinces remain affected, said Vy.

Despite the grim toll, the figures indicate a decrease in fatalities so far.

During the same period last year, 101 people died from lightning and 75 were injured, while floods in 2013 claimed the lives of 168 and injured 29, said Vy.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not