Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lightning strikes kill 13 to take number of dead this year to 59

Lightning strikes kill 13 to take number of dead this year to 59

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Lightning narrowly misses the construction site for new sky scrapers during a violent storm in Phnom Penh's Tonle Bassac commune last month. Hong Menea

Lightning strikes kill 13 to take number of dead this year to 59

In the last two weeks, lightning strikes have killed 13 people and injured 12 others, while a total of 59 people have been killed by lightning this year, with 56 injured.

National Committee for Disaster Management spokesman Keo Vy told The Post on Monday that because the cultivating season has arrived, farmers have started to work their fields and grow crops to support themselves and their families.

Working in fields during thunderstorms is highly risky for the farmers, Vy said.

As well as the human cost, lightning has also killed 17 cows in the last two weeks.

“With these new figures, as of Monday, the number of people who have been killed by lightning strikes has reached 59, and 56 people have been injured by lightning. Some 80 cows have been killed by lightning this year,” he said.

Vy asked people to be extremely careful during thunderstorms and warned against using electronic devices such as mobile phones, walkie-talkies, radios and televisions – and any equipment made of metal that can conduct electricity – in open spaces during storms.

On Friday last week, four people were killed and four others injured by lightning in three provinces.

In Ratanakkiri province, two students were killed and one was injured. In Kratie province, a mother and two children were slightly injured, while two men were killed in Siem Reap province.

In Ratanakkiri, Lumphat district acting police chief Khlol Thoeung told The Post on Monday that two school pupils were killed by lightning while playing football on the school field.

Yum Thai, 11, and Leng Kim Hor, 18, were killed instantly, Thoeung said, and another boy, Tvern Ren, 14, was seriously injured.

A 33-year-old woman named Bich Chanthou and her two daughters were injured by lightning in Kratie province while watching television behind their house while it was raining, said Sambor district police chief Bun Chhoeun.

Siem Reap city police chief of staff Chan Sothea told The Post that two men died after being struck by lightning in Siem Reap district’s Siem Reap commune.

The two victims were identified as Say Buntan, 33, a soft-drinks vendor from Siem Reap province, and Tieng Sambor, 27, a lotus fruit vendor originally from Battambang province.

They were hit by lightning on Friday afternoon while standing under a large tree to shelter from the rain.

MOST VIEWED

  • LPG gas explosion injures 13 people, including foreigners, in Siem Reap

    An explosion on Wednesday at a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) car and tuk-tuk refuelling station in Siem Reap city has left 13 people, including an American and a Briton, suffering burns. The seven most severely burned, including a provincial police officer, were sent to a Thai

  • Over 100 Chinese nationals to be deported for online scam

    The Ministry of Interior is planning to deport 128 Chinese nationals after they were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in an online money extortion scam. Y Sokhy, the head of the Department of Counter-terrorism and Transnational Crime, told The Post

  • More than 800 people test positive for HIV in 2018

    The National Aids Authority (NAA) said more than 800 people tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) last year, joining over 76,000 others aged between 15 and 49 in the Kingdom already infected with the virus. The spread of HIV/AIDS in the Kingdom is showing few signs of

  • Rainsy vow to return on Nov 9 dismissed as ‘political warfare’

    An announcement from the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that its “acting president” Sam Rainsy would return to the Kingdom on November 9 was dismissed on Sunday as “political warfare”. The CNRP made the announcement on Friday after a permanent committee meeting chaired by