Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Local authorities to let awning at opposition HQ stand after talks



Local authorities to let awning at opposition HQ stand after talks

Supporters gather at CNRP headquarters in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district last week where a retractable awning was installed to protect supporters from the elements.
Supporters gather at CNRP headquarters in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district last week where a retractable awning was installed to protect supporters from the elements. Hong Menea

Local authorities to let awning at opposition HQ stand after talks

A commune official in the capital’s Meanchey district said an awning at the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s headquarters will not be removed after a party lawmaker reached out to the authorities.

Keo Savoeun, commune chief for Chak Angre Leu, said the building’s awning on National Road 2, which officials had claimed was “illegal”, hadn’t been removed yet after lawmaker Ho Vann met with authorities to discuss their objections.

“He [Ho Vann] has contacted the authorities, therefore we cannot go to remove it because he was willing to communicate with the authorities,” he said.

The CNRP had about 300 supporters congregate at party headquarters last Tuesday – the day acting party leader Kem Sokha was scheduled to appear before the municipal court over widely criticised charges – following which Meanchey district authorities sent the party a notice to remove the awning or else action would be taken. In the statement, dated July 14, authorities had told the party “to remove the canvas [awning] that has been built illegally”.

Savoeun added that the order was not meant to target the CNRP, saying that if that were the case, the district authorities would not allow the party to park cars around the building or help regulate traffic during such demonstrations.

Neither Vann nor party spokesman Yim Sovann could be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said