Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Local official punched me, says Preah Vihear land disputant



Local official punched me, says Preah Vihear land disputant

Villagers in Preah Vihear block Rui Feng bulldozers from clearing disputed land last month. Photo supplied
Villagers in Preah Vihear block Rui Feng bulldozers from clearing disputed land last month. Photo supplied

Local official punched me, says Preah Vihear land disputant

The deputy governor of Preah Vihear’s Tbeng Meanchey district has been accused of punching a displaced ethnic Kuoy villager during a confrontation over land being cleared by Chinese sugar company Rui Feng.

Rui Feng and four sister companies that share the same registered address were granted an economic land concession over the area in 2011. Since then, residents have been protesting and obstructing clearing machines.

During such a protest last Sunday, evictee Run Phon, 55, alleges that Deputy District Governor Ly Chan punched him following a heated exchange of words.

“The machinery cleared my farmland. I stood in its way, but they did not stop. I got furious and insulted them,” Phon said. “That’s when Ly Chan punched me on the left eyebrow.”

He claims he attempted to fight back but was restrained by three district police officers. Four commune officials were also present, he said.

Phon’s account was corroborated by Luot Sang, a local representative of NGO Ponlork Khmer, who called for action to be taken against Ly.

“He is a public official, but he did not help the people. Instead, he acted violently against them,” Sang said.

However, Ly contended yesterday that Phon was drunk and aggressive. “He jumped at us so I pushed him and he was cut with my nail,” Ly said.

Company representative Ing Thingkong said he was unaware of the incident.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said