Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Log revenues



Log revenues

Log revenues

DOCUMENTS obtained by the Post reveal that both co-prime ministers were privy to

and agreed to an elaborate scheme by RCAF to appropriate 30,000 cubic meters of felled

logs to finance its military operations.

In a letter addressed to the co-premiers in February last year, General Chief of

Staff Ke Kim Yan requested permission to confiscate logs from three districts in

Koh Kong and Kompong Speu provinces and "use them to fulfill the necessary needs-especially

material and supplies to serve the RCAF operation during the dry season offensive

1995-1996."

No copy of the request letter appears to have been sent to the Ministry of Finance.

In a letter dated March 30, after receiving the go-ahead from both co-prime ministers,

Ke Kim Yan issued orders to the commander of Military Region 3, Samreth Dy, to set

up a chain of command to insure the removal of logs by RCAF soldiers.

Documents reveal that several civilian and military authorities in Koh Kong were

mobilized to support RCAF's enterprise, including governor Rongphlam Kesan, the chiefs

of both military and civilian police and the director of customs.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants