Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Logging probe moved to capital



Logging probe moved to capital

Trucks driven by Vietnamese timber transporters that were seized by authorities in Mondulkiri province in March. The bust set of an investigation into authorities’ alleged collusion in the trade. Photo supplied
Trucks driven by Vietnamese timber transporters that were seized by authorities in Mondulkiri province in March. The bust set of an investigation into authorities’ alleged collusion in the trade. Photo supplied

Logging probe moved to capital

A high-profile investigation into corruption charges levelled against Mondulkiri police officials for colluding with Vietnamese timber traders has been transferred from the provincial court to Phnom Penh due to a lethargic investigation by local police, many of whom are involved in the case, a court spokesman said yesterday.

The case dates to March, when a National Police investigation found more than a dozen police, Military Police and army officials had colluded with Vietnamese smugglers after allegedly receiving $170,000 from Vietnamese timber trader Uk Nhor.

While the take was received by two Royal Cambodian Armed Forces officers and a Border Police official, according to the National Police report, it was also shared with a provincial Military Police commander and a Forestry Administration official, among others.

Seven Vietnamese nationals were also arrested as part of the same case for possession of 145 logs in February and are currently in pre-trial detention.

Military police officials bust one of eight trucks carrying illegal timber to Vietnam in March. Photo supplied
Military police officials bust one of eight trucks carrying illegal timber to Vietnam in March. Photo supplied

Meas Bros, spokesman for the Mondulkiri Provincial Court, said Justice Minister Ang Vong Vattana requested that the case be transferred to the capital, attributing the request to the slow investigation by the local police, some of whom were linked to the case.

“The case happened in Mondulkiri province, so only the officials here are involved. All involved officials are working in this province,” Bros said, adding that their involvement in the case facilitated the transfer.

He said that the case had already been transferred to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, with Y Rin, the Phnom Penh court’s administrator, confirming the case was now under its jurisdiction.

The investigation recommended nine of 11 National Police officials receive administrative disciplinary actions, but for Chum Rattanak, the National Police’s border police chief at O’Chum, and Leang Phearoth, the O’Huch border police chief, it recommended court charges.

Morm Vanda, spokesman of provincial court’s prosecutors, declined to comment, and Mondulkiri Provincial Deputy Police Chief Sou Sovan said his department had not conducted any investigation on the case besides punishing two of the 11.

Pen Bonnar, senior land and natural resources investigator at the rights group Adhoc, said the high-profile nature of the case, which was investigated by Military Police head Sao Sokha’s logging task force, and the involvement of multiple local officials meant it had to be transferred to ensure a fair trial.

“The crime is absolutely severe. Therefore, the provincial court will not be able to handle it and there will be no justice,” Bonnar said. “It is better to be prosecuted in Phnom Penh.”

However, environmental activist Ouch Leng said the transfer seemed like a delaying tactic and could potentially keep the accused out of court for a prolonged period of time.

“It shows clearly that this is corruption, but the court does not dare to take action. The court is reluctant and does not dare to take action on the timber traders who look down upon the Cambodia’s laws.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman