Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 'Love triangle' in acid attack

'Love triangle' in acid attack

'Love triangle' in acid attack

An acid attack on couple in Phnom Penh on Saturday is thought to have been the result of a love triangle, police said yesterday.

Sen Sok district police chief Mak Hong said yesterday that a relationship was assumed to be the reason behind the attack – as the woman is thought to have had two partners at the same time. “Her first relationship with a man had not finished when she fell in love with another man [her partner now],” he said.

The couple were riding a motorbike on Russian Federation Boulevard at around 8:20pm when they were attacked from behind by two men on a motorbike. Eang Tha received injuries to her face and hands, while her partner’s hands were burned in the attack.

The injuries, officials said on Sunday, could have been worse had they not been helped at the scene by a passer-by.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa