Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lower Sesan II dam protesters summonsed




Lower Sesan II dam protesters summonsed

Villagers protest near the Lower Sesan Dam II reservoir in July in support of local families affected by the dam. Photo supplied
Villagers protest near the Lower Sesan Dam II reservoir in July in support of local families affected by the dam. Photo supplied

Lower Sesan II dam protesters summonsed

Three protesters who have been summonsed for questioning about their role in a demonstration in Stung Treng last month are calling the investigation a scare tactic designed to discourage critics of the Lower Sesan II dam.

Koeng Ban, 45; her daughter Choeun Sreymom, 26; and her brother Dam Samnang, 32, all from Sesan district’s Kbal Romea village, were given the summons last week to appear for questioning at Stung Treng Provincial Court next month.

The summons, signed by Provincial Deputy Prosecutor Kim Hongsan, said the three are wanted for questioning on September 12 for “incitement to commit crimes”.

“I will not go because my people tell me not to go,” said Ban. “If I go, all the villagers will go as well. If we go, it is easy for them to arrest and jail me, but it looks bad if they arrest me in the village.”

Ban is part of the 58 families from Kbal Romea and 117 families from Srekor still refusing to relocate ahead of the dam’s impending September 25 inauguration.

The three were among more than 100 protesters, mostly Kbal Romea residents, who demonstrated along National Road 78 last month after military police and provincial police detained a group of villagers travelling to the dam to demonstrate solidarity with locals by taking part in traditional prayers and building homes.

The right to demonstrate is enshrined in Cambodian law, and it was not immediately clear what crime the three had allegedly incited others to commit, though the vaguely defined charge is often deployed in cases with a political tint.

Prosecutor Hongsan confirmed that he issued the summons but said he could not give more details because he was busy.

“It is my warrant and it calls only three people,” Hongsan said. “The provincial authorities are the complainant.”

Stung Treng Provincial Hall spokesman Men Kong said he did not know about the case and could make any comment.

Prime Minister Hun Sen is expected to preside over the dam’s inauguration next month.

Hou Sam Ol, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, called the investigation an attempt to frighten villagers and said the two parties should settle the dispute via mediation rather than in court.

Ban’s daughter, Sreymom, said that as the victim of the dam’s construction, she should not be punished for protesting. She added that she is seeking a lawyer to advise her on whether she should appear in court next month.

“Being questioned is no problem for me, but the community will not let me go,” Sreymom said, adding that villagers feared she would be arrested.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.